Article 40: ASEAN Anthem
This one, the ‘new’ ASEAN Anthem is still to be written and composed. I strongly suggest to our Secretary-General that you make this an open competition for all ASEAN Citizens. Entries must be recognized as “Asean", not as “Filipino/Philippines", “Singapore", “Laotian", “Khmer", and so on. Then open a fool-proof voting system online and let the people take part in the voting for some percentage. Then the other percentage will be taken from the decision of the high-level and/or top-level ASEAN Ministers.
For the ASEAN Citizens, I suggest you start writing and composing, then gather everyone’s contribution together, I am listening to three ASEAN songs while writing this.
The time has come for all ASEAN Citizens to submit their compositions for the ASEAN Anthem! The winning entry will be played and sung during the ASEAN Flag Raising Ceremony on the 14th ASEAN Summit in Thailand and will receive U$20,000.
Format of Competition
This is an Open Competition - open to all the Nationals of the 10-Member Countries of ASEAN.
- 1st Round: National Competition in each member countries. Only 20 compositions will be selected for each country
- 2nd Round: Regional Competition in Thailand in mid 2008-October. Only 20 compositions will be selected
- Final Round: Of the Final-20 Compositions, one will be selected as the Official ASEAN Anthem
- Language: English
- The Anthem should incorporate the following elements:
- Should reflect ASEAN Dignity, Coopration, and Solidarity;
- Reflect ASEAN's diverse culture and ethnicity;
- The ASEAN Anthem should be an original composition;
- Must be no longer than 60 seconds
Form of Entries and Timeline
- Entries to be sent with score and sheet music (note and lyrics) with voice and musical instruments (preferably piano) recording submitted on CD;
- Submission of compositions is open from the date the Member Country decides but will be only until 2008-September-20 for all;
- Thailand, as host of the competition, will be responsible for rearrangement of the winning entry, as well as adaptation into a full orchestra version for use at the 14th ASEAN Summit in Thailand in 2008-December
- Entries should be submitted to the ASEAN National Secretariat - visit this Official List to know the address and telephone numbers of your ASEAN National Secretariat
The selected composition can be revised and rearranged into the Anthem of ASEAN. The ASEAN Anthem will be the Reserved Copyright of ASEAN.
The winning composition will receive U$20,000 (Twenty Thousand US Dollars).
ASEAN Composers Forum
We require that National representations to the ASEAN Composers Forum are able to judge on both lyrics and melody of all entries.
Thailand will convene an "ASEAN Composers Forum" consisting of one prominent composer from each Member Countries plus up to three prominent musical experts from a musical institution in a neutral country, in mind 2008-October.
- 14th ASEAN Summit, BANGKOK 2008
- Joint Communique of the 41st ASEAN Ministerial Meeting
- South-East Asian Community comes of age
- ASEAN Anthem Competition
- Asean Anthem Competition
- Competition to look for an ASEAN anthem
- The ASEAN Charter - Bulleted Summary
- A Citizen's Summary of the 1st ASEAN Constitution